Makerspace Nanaimo is an open community lab: a blend of workshop, studio space, social hub and educational facility where members can share tools, resources and knowledge to build just about anything.
What goes on at a Makerspace?
- On any given day you might have people woodworking, someone welding, a couple of programmers debugging code, someone at the bench soldering, and others socializing or just watching videos on the projector screen.
- There are also regular meetings to address club logistics and make decisions that affect our members and the space. All members can, and are encouraged to, participate in this process.
- Occasionally, members put on courses or clinics on topics they have some ability in.
Who can join?
- Everyone! Artists, engineers, computer programmers, electronics experts… all are welcome. Makerspace Nanaimo is a place to share knowledge across disciplines; come share your skills and learn some new ones!
Why join the Makerspace? There are lots of reasons!
- Work on a project in a positive, helpful environment where people want to help you
- Work with others on group projects or help them with yours
- Get to know like-minded makers and others in the community
- Join in social events like our potlucks and gaming nights
- Grow your skills and learn new ones
- Just have fun!
How much does it cost?
- $50/month. $40 for the first month (with PayPal subscription).
- $500/year (12 months for the price of 10!). We also will do 6 months for the price of 5 ($250), ask.
- Membership grants you 24/7 access to the space, the ability to sit in on and participate in meetings and discussions, and use of the equipment and supplies in the space.
What tools/equipment do you have?
- Check out our Tools page.
How is the Space organized? Makerspace Nanaimo is a registered non profit society under the British Columbia Societies Act. As such we are obliged to elect directors and to hold at least one general meeting per year (the Annual General Meeting, or AGM). In addition we have generally held member meetings most months, though of late the pandemic has limited physical attendance. The most recent AGM minutes may be found here file:Makerspace_Nanaimo_AGM_minutes_November_30_2021.pdf.